To trust in something or someone is to put confidence, or faith in them. Here are five things that society as a whole places our trust in more than God.
1. Humanity – How many of you live in a place where you can leave your home unlocked? Or leave your keys in your car? Or drive down the road without the constant fear that opposing traffic will slam head-on into your vehicle? How many of you send your children to school on a bus driven by a complete stranger to be taught by a complete stranger? Now, tell me that we don’t rely heavily on faith in humanity.
2. Sports Teams – How many of us have a favorite team we put our faith in every season, win or lose? Our favorite team can continue to lose games, make poor decisions and have no chance for the play-offs; yet we support them. If you don’t believe me, ask a Detroit Lions fan.
3. Employers – We wake up everyday and go to work to support our families. We trust that when we arrive at work, we will still be employed. We trust that on payday, we’ll receive our check. We trust that our employer will do right by us and our families. Otherwise, how would we provide for the needs of our family?
4. Celebrities – We idolize complete strangers on television. Some of us go to extreme lengths to meet the band backstage, have our book signed, or attend our favorite show. While I’m not saying those are necessarily bad things, are we willing to put that much time and effort into getting to know Jesus?
5. Politicians – Bumper stickers, yard signs, t-shirts, and Facebook posts are all popular places to advertise who we support. We trust someone based on what they say in an interview without necessarily doing the research needed. We fight for the stances our political party, favorite politician, and we ourselves take on abortion, living “green,” and guns; but do we have that same passion when it comes to standing up for Jesus?
Our society has lead us to believe that it is perfectly acceptable to put our faith in these things before Jesus. What we really need is to put our trust in the Lord. People will eventually fail us, but there is one who sticks closer than a brother, Jesus!
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) – Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight.
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) – The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) – Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
What and who are you putting your trust in today?